Kirvin on Writing

The journey of a reluctant writer

Friday, May 26, 2006

Intentions

Okay, with that out of the way, why am I doing this?

This blog will chronicle my experiences with writing. Mostly, with editing Between Heaven and Hell, finding an agent, and the publication process. I still don’t know if I’m going to start writing new material, but if I do, I’ll discuss that too. I’m a little uncomfortable with the title, “Kirvin on Writing”, because I don’t really know what the hell I’m talking about. But it is descriptive, if nothing else.

I’m intend to talk about tools for writing, but with a much more desktop-focused mindset this time around. I can edit things in Documents To Go on my Treo, I can even post to this blog from my Treo with u*Blog, but I’m going to do most of my work on the desktop. I’m running Microsoft Office 2007 at home and at work, and Word 2007 is the shizzle, yo. I hope to have a more thorough review up soonish, and I want to talk about Google Notebook as well.

So if you are at all interested in my musings on writing, publishing and technology for writers, stick around. Comments welcome.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm amazed, but interested. Because like so many people, I always wanted to write a novel. But have never taken steps to do it because it's a lot of work and a long learning curve if you want to actually write a good novel.

    Anyway, best wishes.

    I wonder... have you heard of these?
    http://www.lifehacker.com/software/writing/organizing-your-great-american-novel-176007.php
    http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html
    (Free story writing software. If you try them or use them, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I haven't looked myself, but like I said - one of these days I might need it!)

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jeff Kirvin said…

    Well, I'm cheating a bit since I wrote the novel 10 years ago and it has sold relatively well as an ebook. Going over it again now, some of the writing is a bit clunky, but I'm surprised how good most of it is. I love this story.

    As far as writing software, I'm afraid I've never tried any of it. I'm kind of a purist that way. Between Heaven and Hell was heavily plotted and outlined, but all I used to write it was good old Microsoft Word.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home